The purpose of this Technical Report is to investigate the interoperability of H.323 and B-ISDN signalling environments with a view to identifying possible standardization activities in this area.
The following aspects of interoperability are investigated:
- the interworking of H.323 and B-ISDN environments, both separated and combined, via a gateway;
- the connection of remote H.323 environments via B-ISDN;
- the use of H.323 annex C (H.323 on ATM), including the co-existence of H.323 annex C and B-ISDN signalling in the same network and possible future enhancement of annex C;
- the application of the B-ISDN separated call control protocol to gatekeeper-to-gatekeeper communication;
- the impact of H.323 on future mobility protocols.
For each of the above, due consideration is given to the following: addressing impact (including use of IP addressing); conferencing models; T.120 data impact; basic call procedures; generic functional procedures (GFP) and supplementary services; end-to-end resource and session level protocols.
Possible future standardization activities resulting from this Technical Report will include H.323 work items as well as B-ISDN signalling work items.