For the purpose of compatible interconnection of data processing equipment via a local area network using the carrier sense multiple access with collision detection technique (CSMA/CD), this Standard ECMA-82:
– defines in abstract form the services provided by the Link Layer (see 3.1.);
– defines the services assumed to be available at the conceptual interface between the Link Layer and the underlying Physical Layer (see 3.2.);
– specifies the functions within the Link Layer (see 4);
– specifies the structure and encoding of the link-protocol-data-unit (see 5);
– specifies Link Layer protocol size and timing parameters (see 6).
A particular emphasis of this Standard is to specify the homogenous externally visible characteristics needed for interconnection compatibility, while avoiding unnecessary constraints upon and changes to the internal design and implementation of the heterogeneous processing equipment to be interconnected.
The operation of this protocol is of the connectionless-data- transmission type. Extension to include connection-oriented operation is for future study. The specification of hardware and software implementation interfaces is outside the scope of this Standard.
- ECMA-82, 1st edition, September 1982Download